Pwllheli 1 - 2 Llanrwst Utd

January 8, 2018

The Rwsters started 2018 with a hard fought victory away to Pwllheli.
Barry Owen was forced in four changes from the team that beat Nantlle Vale on the 30th of December. Paul Roberts was replaced in goal by Gwydion Owen, Steffan Whiteley came back into the team after his holiday, Whiteley replaced Barry Jones. Morgan Roberts and Gwyn Jones both missed out due to injury (head and eye respectively).
In came Hedd Williams after Illness and Morgan Owen came into the team after impressing against Nantlle Vale last week.
The first fifteen minutes at “The Rec” were all Pwllheli, Tom Jones and Dylan Sion combining well down the left hand side and Jamie Banks pace and trickery down the right.
Pwllheli nearly took the lead on 22 minutes, a clever pass from Jamie Underwood sent Mark Jones through on goal but his shot was well saved by the out rushing Owen in the Llanrwst goal.

With 37 minutes on the clock, Pwllheli were on the attack again, but a well timed interception from Hedd Williams, Llanrwst Utd counter attacked. Williams clipped a perfectly weighted pass to Aron Hughes, Hughes beat his man and passed the ball back to top goal scorer Mike Lundstrum, but his effort sailed over the crossbar. 0-0 HT.

A few harsh words were said at halftime by Llanrwst Utd management team, Barry Owen & Rhodri Davies, as they felt the team weren’t working hard enough with and without he ball.

The Rwsters improved in the second half and looked like the team that would go on to take the 3 points.

Aron Hughes became more influential in the game as he looked for Lundstrum, Morgan Owen and Luke Roberts further up the field. Llanrwst Utd were dominating possession but were struggling to beat Martin Smith and the experienced John Gwynfor Jones at the heart of Pwllhelis defence.

The combination of Tom Jones and Dylan Sion was still a threat, and on 65 minutes the later played a fantastic ball into the box for Mark Jones but the ball came off Steffan Whiteley and it went in over Gwydion Owen. 1-0 Pwllheli.

On came Mez Knight (a recent signing from Cymru Alliance outfit - Llandudno Junction) for his debut for Llanrwst Utd, replacing Morgan Owen.

Knight immediately caused problems as he he raced down the left touchline, then cut along the byline before pulling the ball back to Richard Orme, he instantly found Callum Parry at the back post, who fired the ball into the far corner of the net. 1-1.

An unsavoury incident between Hedd Williams and Tom Jones resulted in the game being stopped for several minutes as the referee tried to control both sets of players. After a long discussion with the linesman, Whiteley received his second yellow card of the afternoon for his part in the melee but somehow Pwllheli weren’t shown any cards.

With the game entering stoppage time, Richard Orme was brought down on the left hand side. Matt Mullender’s free kick was met by Lundstrum, his header found captain Leighton Griffiths, who calmly chipped the keeper from 18 yards to grab all 3 points for the visitors.

Manager Barry Owen commented: Credit must go 2 all the players. A Few harsh words were said about attitude at Half Time but the players responded magnificently. We showed great spirit, & fought well, 2 win it with 10 men in the last minute is always nice at one of the toughest grounds.

Llanrwst Utd travel to Trearddur Bay on Saturday, 2pm Kick Off.








Please reload

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

© 2015 by Llanrwst Utd FC