Rwsters advance in Cup

September 11, 2017

An inform Rwsters side travelled to Penmaenmawr Phoenix looking for revenge after a poor defeat to the hands of Phoenix in last years draw. 


Barry Owen had a full squad at his disposal and a team that's full of confidence, up against Martin Jones's men, who have also had a good start in Division Two. 


The Rwsters started the game well, Hedd Williams and Morgan Owen combining well down the right, with Williams firing in a cross that was just ahead of striker Callum Parry. 


Pen were looking for the long ball over the top for Alfie Caldecott to try and get behind the Rwsters defence but keeper Loui Harris was always alert and swept everything up. 


On 22 minutes, Pen Centre Midfielder Liam Griffiths was booked for kicking the ball away after an initial foul by Daz Evans by referee Steven Jones. From the resulting free kick, Leighton Griffiths found Owen, who smashed the ball into the top corner with his left foot from 25 yards out. 


A couple of last ditch tackles by Phoenix Man of the Match, Scott Hall on Callum Parry and Aron Hughes kept the game at 0-1 at half time as the two forwards looked liked adding to the score sheet. HT


The Rwsters upped their game in the second half, moving the ball and taking less touches in the middle of the park. On 51 minutes, Aron Hughes jinxed his way into the penalty area before sending keeper Carl Roberts the wrong way. 2-0. 


Mike Lundstram made an immediate impact as his knock down found Hughes, but this time Hughes was brought down with the referee awarding a penalty. 


Surprisingly Hughes missed as Roberts guessed correctly and saved the penalty. 


Shortly after, Tom Paddock seen his effort crashing off the crossbar, this gave Phoenix a bit of confidence but never really troubled Harris in the Llanrwst goal. 


With 15 minutes remaining, Llanrwst were down to 10 men, as Elliot Llewelyn was forced off with injury with the Rwsters having used all 3 substitutions. 


Alfie Caldecott reduced the deficit on 85 minutes, cutting in from the left and firing passed the helpless Harris. 


Substitutes Luke Roberts & Mike Lundstram combined well, Roberts beating Hall and finding Lundstram who kept his composure, and made it 1-3 from a tight angle. 


On 90 minutes, Matt Mullender clipped the ball down the left for Luke Roberts, who won a corner. From the resulting corner, Captain Leighton Griffiths was fouled on the edge of the box. Griffiths took the resulting free kick, leaving the keeper stranded, his effort curling in to the top corner. 


Barry Owen commented: It was a professional performance, I thought we controlled the game from the 1st minute to the 90th minute against a tough Pen side. The aim was to be in the draw on Monday and we've done that - hopefully we can have a nice home draw.




Please reload

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

© 2015 by Llanrwst Utd FC