Rwsters Progress in Cup

August 23, 2017





Llanrwst Utd travelled to Caernarfon to face Gwynedd League team, Waunfawr Fc in the JD Welsh Cup Qualifying Round One on Saturday. The Rwsters were coming into the game in fine form, after beating Barmouth on the opening day of the season and a fantastic 4-1 against Llandyrnog last Tuesday. 


Suspensions and Unavailability meant a change in the team selection but Captain Leighton Griffiths and Luke Roberts were back in the squad. 


The Rwsters began the game well, taking an early lead through youngster Morgan Owen. A free kick was awarded for a Gould on Aron Hughes. Up stepped Owen, who's effort from 30yards nestled into the top corner, leaving keeper Gerallt Braicegirdle stranded. 


Waunfawr weren't behind for long, a great cross from the right hand side found the head of unmarked Dylan Hughes. 1-1. 


Callum Parry continued his fine start to the season by hammering the ball into the empty net after some great work by Aron Hughes. 


Back came Waunfawr again, Chris Nicolson was penalised for a foul on the edge of the box, and a great delivery from the left was met by meurig parry who clipped the ball back into that man again, Dylan Hughes. His looping header was just out of reach for keeper Loui Harris. 2-2 HT


Waunfawr started the second half full of confidence and they took the lead for the first time in the game on 52mins. Again it was a set piece that caused mayhem in the Rwsters penalty area, Defender Rhodri Owen claimed the goal. 


Llanrwst were awarded an indirect free kick inside the penalty area, quick thinking by Leighton Griffiths set the ball back for Morgan Owen, who thought he'd got the equaliser but his effort was ruled out by the referee as Waunfawr players weren't ready! His second effort was cleared off the line and away from danger. 


The Rwsters began to dominate possession and the equaliser did come on 66 minutes, Hughes lost his marker in the box and his effort curled beyond the keepers hand. 3-3. 


Tom Casey, Callum Parry and Aron Hughes had efforts but Braicegirdle pulled off some fantastic saves. 


An extra 30 minutes was to played, but the Rwsters weren't messing about. Almost from the restart, Hughes and Mullender combined well down the left before Hughes was brought down. Up stepped Owen, his effort evaded everyone and went straight in. 3-4


Leighton Griffiths added the 5th with a thundering header from 12 yards. Owen adding another assist. 3-5


Back came Waunfawr again, this time it was centre midfielder Rhodri Owen capitalising after Hedd Williams and Richard Orme failed to deal with a long ball. 4-5


Tom Casey put the game to bed, with a great finish from a tight angle after he worked back and won the ball, his pace took him away from the defenders before seeing his effort hit the back of the net. 4-6


Winning Manager Barry Owen commented: We knew it was going to be tough today, playing against a physical team with a strong wind behind them but we got the result we wanted. It wasn't pretty at times but I think Waunfawr deserve a lot of credit for that. 



Goalscorer - Callum Parry


Please reload

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

© 2015 by Llanrwst Utd FC