A Winning Start!

August 23, 2017

On Saturday the Magpies welcomed Llanrwst United to The Wern on the opening day of the 2017/18 Welsh Alliance Division 1 season.


The match was only a few minutes old when Barmouth right back Adam Morris had to go off with a pulled Hamstring after trying to chase Luke Roberts down the left wing. Dave Inglis was sent on. 


It took only a few minutes for Callum Parry to score (on 11 minutes). A fantastic delivery from youngster Morgan Owen was headed back across the area, for Callum Parry to convert from close range. The pressure by Llanrwst didn't relent and the Rwsters doubled there lead on 19 minutes with a goal by Steffan Whiteley. Again, Owen with the effort from 30yards was to hot to handle for the home keeper and Whiteley was the first to react. The rest of the half saw Barmouth come close with George Sutherns coming close having one shot saved and another go over the bar, Shane Jones also had a header but it was easily saved by Loui Harris. On 40', the game was stopped for a period as Barmouth striker Shane Jones was beaten to the ball by Harris but both players collided on the edge of the box. Llanrwst picked up two bookings during the first half. A fantastic 1st half performance from the Rwsters. 


As the cliche goes, this was definitely a game of two halves. Barmouth changed formation to a 433. On 51' Shane jones has a free kick saved with Dave Inglis missing the rebound from close range. A chance by Gethin Evans came close on 55', norrowly going wide. Barmouth's second substitution came on 57' with Ieuan Brooks coming on for Evans, with Barmouth making their final change on 70', a tactical change saw Dave Inglis replaced by Luke Washbrook, who was making his senior debut. The next 2 minute would see Llanrwst go down to 9 players, Luke Roberts received his second yellow cards, whilst Captain Leighton Griffiths received a straight red for a deliberate handball on the line. This resulted in a penalty, which was calmly converted by Shane Jones. Barmouth pilled on the pressure for the final few minuets to no avail. 


Manager Barry Owen commented: I thought we were excellent in the 1st half, we moved the ball with real purpose and we created chance after chance, the only negative was that we were only going in 2-0. We knew Barmouth would give it a real go in the second half, and they certainly did that. 

We now look forward to Tuesday night, a tough fixture against Llandyrnog.
























Please reload

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

© 2015 by Llanrwst Utd FC