Rwsters exit Mawddach Challenge Cup

February 20, 2017

League leaders Glantraeth, are through to face Trearddur Bay after overcoming the stubborn resistance of Llanrwst Utd who showed a real determination to erase the memory of their last meeting.


The depleted Rwsters travelled to Anglesey missing many players again through injury but the first real chance of the game came after five minutes, this fell to make shift striker Matt Mullender as hesitation in the Glantraeth defence let in Mulleder but he pulled his shot badly wide.


Six minutes later Glantraeth were lucky not to fall behind as new signing Leon Doran got on the end of a free kick only to see his effort come back off a post, with George Mitchell unable to convert the rebound.

After those early escapes the home side began to get on top as a good ball from Jamie Jones almost put hotshot Corrig McGonigle in, but he was well marshalled away from goal by Leighton Griffiths and Gwyn Jones. A fine cross from Mark Bridge was only inches away from Guto Hughes converting at the back post on 35 minutes.

Llanrwst Utd were forced into two substitutions within the next five minutes, Jac Parry & Morgan Roberts forced to leave the field, neck and hamstring injuries respectively. With five minutes of the half remaining McGonigle cleverly turned his defender to create a chance that was well saved by keeper Chris Wright. 

A change in formation saw the Anglesey side turned up the heat after the break with the Llanrwst defence under constant pressure keeper Wright saving at the near post from Bridge, then centre half Gerwyn Jones headed over.


On 59 minutes Glantraeth took the lead as Captain Kieren Jeffreys fired a shot from the edge of the box through a crowded area, his shot taking two deflections to the despair of the battling Rwsters.

The Rwsters continued to battle for everything and were working hard but we're now posing little threat in attack and Wright was keeping them in the game, making fine saves from first Jeffreys then point blank from Gethin Maxwell.


McGonigle volleyed wide from a good Bridge cross but a second goal was coming and it was 2-0 on 71 minutes as a cross from Hughes arrived at the feet of McGonigle to score from close range. 

With fifteen minutes remaining superb play from Harry Galeotti down the left provided a simple header for McGonigle, his 39th goal of the season.


With the game as good as over, on 84 minutes an incident between Sam Faulkner and Llanrwst's Faulkes led to a mass coming together of players and resulted in both players being dismissed.


Final score: Glantraeth 3 Llanrwst United 0 

Llanrwst Utd:


Chris Wright, George Mitchell, Gwyn Jones. Leighton Griffiths, Barry Jones, Jac Parry, Alun Roberts, Craig Carpenter, Leon Doran, Matt Mullender, Gene Faulkes.


Subs Used: Morgan Roberts, Stephen Parry, Dan Lycett










Picture Courtesy of @tomoswyn2003



Please reload

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

© 2015 by Llanrwst Utd FC