Thomas Denies Rwsters late on!

February 6, 2017

Last weekend’s home game between Llanrwst Utd and Pwllheli Fc was postponed due to Gwydir Park not being playable. This was the first postponement of the 2016/17 season. This week, the groundsmen had been working hard to give the game a chance of going ahead, after Storm Doris had promised to put the game in doubt.


Trearddur Bay started the brighter of the two sides creating some early half chances.
Asa Thomas, the league’s top goal scorer had a good early opportunity but his shot was always rising as it sailed over the bar. Thomas then put his free kick straight at Adam Redrup but the early signs looked promising for the Bay.

Youngster Jac Parry was looking lively once again for the Rwsters, cutting in from the left hand side and linking up well with Aron Hughes. His dangerous runs became a bit of a problem for Bays’ right back, who picked up an early booking for a foul on Parry. An early substitution saw Ryan Jones come on for Sean Otoole.


Llanrwst then had a good chance from a dead ball situation forcing Elliot Smith to clear with his foot. The game then went into a sloppy period with neither side able to create any clear chances.

Trearddur can count themselves lucky to be level at the break when a good Llanrwst attack saw the ball played hard and low between the defence and keeper, only for Aron Hughes to slice over unmarked from 6yds.

Half time 0 - 0

The Rwsters started the second half and with the pitch now getting worse, slick football was not an option.
The first real chance fell to Bay as Thomas broke down the left before sending in a low cross that just eluded everyone, and went wide of Redrups post.

Trearddur thought they had finally broke the deadlock when Jordie Murphy slotted the ball between the 2 centre half's for Thomas to finish past the advancing Redrup, only for the linesman to raise his flag.

Trearddur were enjoying a good spell of pressure and when Jordie Murphy beat two tackles before breaking clear, bearing down on goal, the game was stopped as the referee calls for the foul on Murphy. The resulting free kick was initially well saved by Redrup, who palmed the ball out for Ry Lees to blast into the net, but again the linesman flags for off side. Bay’s players protested resulting in Ry Lees getting him cautioned. The pressure continued with Dale Murphy heading just over from a corner kick. 

Llanrwst Utd then enjoyed a good spell of possession but failed to trouble Elliot Smith. Luke Roberts played a perfect pass out wide to the right wing picking out Asa Thomas who's excellent dipping strike beat Adam Redrup before crashing off the underside of the bar and into the net.
Llanrwst Utd 0 - 1 Trearduur Bay (Asa Thomas 82 min)

With the pitch now cut up, Ry Lees caught Gwyn Jones as both challenge to reach the ball resulting in his second caution and dismissal for the Bay’s midfielder.
The Rwsters began to take advantage of the extra man in search for the equaliser but Trearddur Bay defend well and were just clearing their lines.

On 88 minutes, a perfect ball over the top of the Rwsters defence for Asa Thomas to latch onto looked dangerous, with Redrup sprinting out, Thomas chips the keeper from 30 yards to seal the 3 points.


It was Llanrwst finishing the strongest of the teams and were unlucky on 90 min as a good run down the left was cut back to Alun Roberts, who's curling shot cannoned back off the upright, Bay conceding a corner.
From the resulting corner, Leighton Griffiths was bundled to the floor in the box, his retaliation earning him a second yellow card. Two more of Bay’s were also shown a Red card, Trearddur now down to 8 men hung on for the duration of added time to secure a valuable 3 points.



Please reload

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

© 2015 by Llanrwst Utd FC