Match report 26/11/16

December 6, 2016

On a freezing cold day in the Conwy Valley , with temperatures as low as minus two, the grounds men and committee did well to get Gwydir Park ready for a 2pm kick off.
   With Paul Cassidy and Elliot Llywelyn returning to the squad, the Rwsters were near full strength bar Barry Owen and Gene Faulkes. Owen out with a knee injury and Faulkes playing for the reserves at Llanrug Utd to gain match fitness.
Cassidy went straight into the starting lineup at the expense of Barry Jones and talented 16year old Jac Parry took the place of Aron Hughes.
    Greenfield arrived at Gwydir Park coming off a surprise 1-0 home defeat to Barmouth & Dyffryn whilst Llanrwst Utd were coming off a great win in the FAW Trophy away at Aberffraw.
    The game started at a frantic pace, with both teams creating chances, and on 15 minutes the prolific Shaun Beck put Greenfield ahead with a good header that Wright could only get a hand to. This certainly looked like it hurt the Rwsters as that man Beck nearly got his second but this time his header crashed against the bar. On 30 minutes, a good overlapping run down the right by Chris Nicolson was found by Josh Francis, who crossed and there was Cassidy to score the equaliser. Five minutes later, Cassidy found himself through on goal, he chipped Stanton in the Greenfield goal but Dean Hughes got back to clear the danger. With the Rwsters on top, they again created a chance, a great ball by Callum Parry found his namesake Jac Parry six yards out of goal, who shot but somehow Stanton managed to push it away for a corner. 1-1 HT.
   At the start of the second half, the Rwsters made a double substitution. On came Elliot Llywelyn for his first appearance in a month (suspension) and Barry Jones came on to strengthen the back line.
   Within minutes Greenfield took the lead, A long ball by Dean Hughes found Wayne Edwards who finished smartly over Wright. Llywellyn nearly equalised immediately but his effort went just passed the post.
Gareth Henley pace down the left began to stretch the Rwsters as they pushed for another goal.
   With the game approaching the last minute, up stepped substitute Aron Hughes, he was quickest to react when the ball fell in the goal mouth scramble. FT 2-2.
   Barry Owen commented: We didn't play well today, the lads know that. But on reflection a draw was a fair result and it keeps our momentum going.
Llanrwst Utd are home again on Saturday as they entertain Blaenau in the cup.

Please reload

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

© 2015 by Llanrwst Utd FC