Hattrick Hero

December 6, 2016

Llanrwst Utd travelled to Aberffraw in the 4th round of the FAW Trophy on Saturday, looking to continue with the winning run of late. After losing to the same opponents in the Welsh Cup last season 2-1, the Rwsters knew they were in for a difficult game. A few players were unavailable for the game, Paul Cassidy (work commitments), Elliot Llywellyn and Gene Faulkes were serving the last of a 3 match ban and Hedd Williams suffered a knee injury playing for the Reserves in their fixture at Holyhead. 

   The Rwsters were dealt another blow after 4 minutes as defender Barry Owen had to leave the field after twisting his knee, as he attempted to block a Rich Roberts shot. 

   With 'ffraw' setting a high tempo and the blustery wind making it difficult for the Rwsters to clear their lines, the first goal came, a good ball by Ieuan Lloyd found Andrew Jones who then beat his marker and fired low passed Wright in goal. 1-0. 

   This woke the Rwsters up, as Al Roberts and Leighton Griffiths started to get the ball down and were dictating play from the centre of the park, Llanrwst could sense an equaliser was on the cards. A great ball from Chris Nicolson from the right hand side found Aron Hughes at the back post, who cushioned it down perfectly to the oncoming Callum Parry who smashed the ball in to the roof of the net. 1-1. This gave the Rwsters further confidence but the closest Llanrwst came to taking the lead was a half volley by Josh Francis, but his effort sailed over the bar. 

1-1 HT

    With the wind calming down, the supporters were hoping for a better second half and it didn't disappoint. The pace and energy from 'Ffraws' Ieuan Lloyd gave Llanrwst a reminder that the Gwynedd League side were still in the game and were looking for their sixth consecutive wins against higher opposition. 

   However, a great corner by Roberts found Griffiths, who beat two defenders in the air but his header crashed against the cross bar but that man Parry was the quickest to react and he chested the ball over the line. 2-1. 

   5 minutes later, Callum Parry got his and the Rwsters third. A great through ball caught Aberffraws defence static and high up the field. Parry was first to the ball, he looked up and chipped Kenny Hughes from 35 yards, 3-1. 

 Manager Barry Owen said: Aberffraw are a good side, and they could easily compete in the Welsh Alliance, so I'm delighted to leave here and still be in the draw for the last 16. 

   Llanrwst Utd are back in league action on Saturday, when the Welcome Greenfield to Gwydir Park for a 2pm KO.

Please reload

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

© 2015 by Llanrwst Utd FC