Home But Away

June 3, 2016

Llanrwst Utd last home game versus Gwalchmai had to be played at MBI Llandudno's home ground, due to Gwydir Park being used by the towns cricket team. Llanrwst travelled with as many as 9 players out missing and also Assistant Manager Jamie Williams away on holiday.


Gwalchmai started the brightest, dominating the play from the centre of the park, Paul Bryant using his vast experience and Corey Sinnott cutting in from the left causing all sorts of trouble. However Llanrwst Utd settled and had the better of the chances coming up to half time. An Alun Roberts effort from 30 yards caused all kinds of trouble for the Gwalchmai keeper, and the ball rebounded off him in to the path of Aron Jones who was unlucky not to score. HT


At Halftime, Manager Barry Owen changed things around, with Callum Parry being asked to play off the left and Aron Jones moving upfront to play alongside his younger brother Sion Jones. The changed seemed to disrupt Gwalchmais defence, Sion Jones and Aron Jones pace and power seemed to be the key. Sion Jones was making his first start for the club after being so prolific for the clubs reserve side over the past couple of seasons. On 59minutes, a good through ball by Gene Faulkes for Aron Jones to cross for Sion Jones was met by the Gwalchmai keeper but the keeper could only push it out to Captain Gwyn Jones who hammered it in to the bottom corner to open the scoring. This gave the Rwsters so much confidence, and they started playing an attractive style of attacking football (Something they've been unable to do the passed few weeks due to the playing surface at Gwydir Park). The pace and energy from the Rwsters caused Gwalchmai to get frustrated and they started kicking out. The Referee had to book 4 of their players in quick succession. Paul Bryant received his marching orders after a tussle and an argument with the Referee, as he believed Aron Jones went down to easy after neat play by Matt Mullender and Callum Parry. From the resulting free kick, the quick thinking of Gwyn Jones and a perfectly timed pass by Alun Roberts set up Callum Parry who cut in from the left and calmly slotting the ball in to the net. 2-0. The Rwsters had many more chances that were either missed or the wrong option was taken before Aron Jones latched onto Leighton Griffiths passed and he made no mistake. 3-0. The 4th came 2 minutes later, Callum Parry setting up Sion Jones who went one way, then another, before shooting passed the oncoming keeper. Tempers flared between the two benches towards the end of the match, but this didn't stop the Rwsters picking up a well deserved 3 points against an experience Gwalchmai side. Manager Barry Owen said: This was a much needed 3 points especially as Llandyrnog Utd and St Asaph winning. The lads were terrific today, everyone responded after the disappointing performance against Penrhyn on Wednesday. The Rwsters travel to Llanberis on Monday Night knowing a point would guarantee safety.


Please reload

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

© 2015 by Llanrwst Utd FC