Llanrwst Edge Thriller

February 20, 2016

Llanrwst score four second half goals to cap off a determined second half performance, and take all three points back to Llanrwst.

Llanrwst travelled to St Asaph in a bottom of the table clash in awful conditions, playing surface was almost unplayable due to a junior game that was played on that pitch that morning. Llanrwst didn’t adjust to the conditions and started poorly, Jason Foulkes and Jason Jones causing the Rwsters trouble.


A quick throw down the right found Jamie Jones unmarked at the back post who finished well past the experienced Paul Roberts on 19 minutes, Aron Jones on his return to the club from Pwllheli came close with the only real first chance of the half.

The second half was a different story, however the half didn’t start how the Rwsters wanted. Ciran Jones was adjudged to handle the ball in the area, and referee Nick Pratt awarded the hosts a penalty, much to the Rwsters dismay who felt the decision was harsh, Dave Evans stepped up and sent Roberts the wrong way, 2-0.


The second goal was a wakeup call for Llanrwst and they started to play, Ryan Watson jinked past two players on the edge of the box before firing low to the keepers left, a goal worthy of higher standard of play. St Asaph scored again 5 minutes later, the league’s top scorer Jamie Jones putting the ball into an empty net after Paul Roberts did well from a Jake Walker shot.


In a topsy turvy game, Llanrwst had a fine 10 minutes to turn the game on its head. Debutant Gene Foulkes scoring from a well taken corner by captain Gwyn Jones, Llanrwst brought Callum Parry and Luke Roberts on to inject a bit of pace and fresh legs to the game, and what a decision this proved to be. Callum Parry headed in from close range to make it 3-3 after 72 minutes, after good play again from Ryan Watson down the right hand side, Parry was at it again only 6 minutes later. He pounced on a loose ball and coolly chipped the keeper and made it 4-3 to the visitors. The drama didn’t end there, with chances at both ends, Luke Robert’s pace and trickery down the left was causing City problems, Llanrwst held on despite a last gasp corner from St Asaph in the dying seconds of the match.


MOM – Gwyn Jones


Manager: Barry Owen “Pleased to get the win, it’s been a long time coming, very proud of the commitment and effort of all the lads. We now have another massive game on Saturday at home vs Llanfairpwll, in a game where we need another three points, hopefully we can get a big crowd to get behind the lads ”


Ref: Nick Pratt




St Asaph City

19th  Jamie Jones

50th Dave Evans Pen

60th Jamie Jones


Llanrwst Utd

55 Ryan Watson

70 Gene Foulkes

72 Cal Pary

78 Callum Parry



Please reload

  • Facebook App Icon
  • Twitter App Icon
  • Instagram Social Icon

© 2015 by Llanrwst Utd FC